搜尋此網誌

2012年9月14日 星期五

Treat Yourself to Depression, Anxiety, Or Other Mental Illness Today


Earlier tonight, I was watching some of the vandalism and violence that happened in St. Paul, MN today. I had a sudden revelation: "People are crazy." It's a thought that brought much comfort to me, because I too have been diagnosed with various mental illnesses.

After my revelation, I thought of myself. To people who know me well, I'm regarded as kind, decent, honest, ethical, fair, and generous. I'm speaking in general terms - no one thinks I'm perfect, not even me. There are, however, also a few people who know me and see ugly character traits. Some adjectives and adverbs that have been used against me are: weak, cowardly, lazy, weird, odd, strange, and overly-impulsive.

After thinking of myself, I reached outward and thought of businessmen who cheat and embezzle; I thought of employers who overwork and underpay their employees; I thought of politicians who lie and call their colleagues names in the hopes of winning a contest; I thought of glamorous celebrities who covet money and fame, who forget where the source of their money and fame originated; I thought of corporations and advertisers who deceive consumers to exploit them; I thought of doctors who over-charge and over-prescribe medications to patients -- some patients desperate for help and relief -- with reckless regard for their patients' physical or mental health, and doctors who don't lose sleep because they don't ponder on the consequences of the poor and apathetic treatment they "give" patients.

Of those people I mentioned in the previous paragraph, it's only a small minority who have committed indecent, unethical or immoral acts. The large majority of them are truly good people who genuinely desire to make lives better, or people who conduct their business honorably. But I feel confident to state as fact that almost all of the bad apples from that bushel have never been diagnosed with a mental illness.

If you have a mental illness, maintain your integrity, morals, ethics, and honesty. You'll be much more successful in the end. At some later time, when you stand before God -- or a mirror -- you can be proud that you only have a mental illness. You can be proud that while you may be financially bankrupt, you're not morally bankrupt. If you're depressed and don't have the energy or motivation to make dinner on time, be proud that the food you'll cook later isn't stolen, and that you haven't deprived a poverty-stricken family of a meal. If you're socially inept, be proud that you don't lie, and that you don't attempt to obtain money through deception on the few occasions when you interact with people.

Treat yourself to depression, anxiety, or other mental illness today -- there are many alternatives to mental illness, and there are many people who have chosen to commit acts that violate the rights, health, and lives of other people. Corrupt people have the benefit of exercising free will. In many cases of mental illness, people don't have the luxury of making easy choices in how to function, or their coping skills and daily functioning are impaired to the point where it's impossible to function "normally."

When compared to others who have been diagnosed with a mental illness, I consider myself fortunate. My cognitive skills are quite good, which means that with continued cognitive behavioral therapy, there is hope of my continued improvement over what ails me. I'm fortunate because much of my distorted thinking comes from my early childhood development. In the past, I was exposed to abuse, neglect, abandonment, emotional trauma, and massive instability. All these things shaped my views on life and relationships. Because they occurred while I was still developing, much of my distorted views are deeply ingrained, but they aren't insurmountable obstacles, nor do they define me or place limitations on my potential capabilities.

In my personal experience with psychiatrists, they do nothing -- or next to nothing - to determine if a cause is more biological than situational or environmental. For instance, no doctor has ever ordered any type of brain scan or a sleep study. Perhaps if I had requested them, and if I had the money or good insurance, it would have been done. But until some doctor proves that my "mental illness" is a direct result of my brain operating incorrectly due to biology, I will continue to believe I can outsmart my mental illness. In the meantime though, I'll continue to be a social nitwit, have a crazy sleeping schedule, and be a poor housekeeper.

Whether or not one's mental illness is based on biology or environmental and situational factors, what I've written here is relevant. You have faults. I have faults. Humans all have faults. Make a new rule in your life: if you're talking with someone and you know that a criticism is imminent, tell him that before he points out your faults, he must first submit a list of his own. Jesus had a similar emphatic suggestion, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I say that's good advice whether you believe in Jesus or not.

And here's another emphatic suggestion from me: don't waste your energy being ashamed of yourself. Focus on all your good qualities instead. Which of your qualities matters more in the grand scheme of the universe: your good ones or your bad? You won't eliminate the guilt and shame overnight, but keep reminding yourself anyway. Gradually, you'll develop an acceptance. You seldom ever just accept something, but over time you can develop an acceptance.

I'll admit my suggestion isn't as succinct or profound as Jesus's, but I'm only human.

See Also: Some turn violent in GOP convention protests




By Andy Alt / Mental Dimensions
http://mentaldimensions.wordpress.com/
Depression and mental health theme, with humor, comedy, farce and rants, combined with occasional doses of sincerity
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License




沒有留言:

張貼留言